Culinary Arts Instructor for the 2023-24 School Year
- Job Summary: The instructor will help develop and implement an Culinary Arts and Bakery & Pastry instructional program that will provide hands-on instruction for each student. Instructor will perform complex professional work, providing teaching and/or training services to students within this industry, including administering the ServSafe training program . Instructor must be able to motivate students to develop workplace readiness skills necessary for employment in Culinary Arts and Bakery & Pastry. An essential function of this program is establishing relationships with the community, including students, parents and local businesses. In addition, the instructor will support students during work based learning opportunities.
Culinary Arts I provides students with a foundational understanding of the food service industry and opportunities to build technical skills in food preparation and service. Students examine basic rules of kitchen safety and sanitation, of purchasing and receiving, and of fundamental nutrition. The curriculum incorporates math and science in culinary applications. Contextual instruction and student participation in co-curricular career and technical student organization (CTSO) activities will develop leadership, interpersonal, and career skills. High-quality work-based learning (HQWBL) will provide experiential learning opportunities related to students' career goals and/or interests, integrated with instruction, and performed in partnership with local businesses and organizations.
Baking and Pastry Specialization
The Culinary Arts Specialization course provides students with skills and knowledge to pursue careers in the food service industry. In a hands-on environment, students apply nutritional principles, plan menus, use business and mathematics skills, select and maintain food service equipment, and adhere to safety and sanitation standards.
The curriculum continues to place a strong emphasis on science and mathematics knowledge and skills, critical thinking, practical problem-solving, and entrepreneurial opportunities within the field of culinary arts. Contextual instruction and student participation in co-curricular career and technical student organization (CTSO) activities will develop leadership, interpersonal, and career skills. High-quality work-based learning (HQWBL) will provide experiential learning opportunities related to students' career goals and/or interests, integrated with instruction, and performed in partnership with local businesses and organizations.
- Designs instruction based upon knowledge of subject matter, current instructional practices, students, industry, and curriculum goals as outlined by the VA Department of Education Career and Technical Education Programs;
- Evaluates students' progress; provides students with prompt specific evaluative feedback; maintains appropriate records and prepares progress reports;
- Manages lab materials and facility in preparing students for entrance into an culinary arts/baking & pastry career.
- Implements a classroom management policy that fosters a safe and positive environment for all students and staff;
- Works collaboratively with staff, families, and community resources to support the success of a diverse student population;
- Models professional, moral, and ethical standards as well as personal integrity in all interactions
- Recruitment of students
- Possesses an Endorsement in one or more of the following areas:
- Culinary Arts
- Family and Consumer Science
- Food Occupations
- Work and Family Studies - Occupational
- The ability to train students to enter the world of Culinary, Baking & Pastry, Hospitality, Tourism and Recreation. Students will need to gain practical experience in all of the above disciplines.
- Experience in front of the house, back of the house, food safety, baking & pastry a must.
- Must be certified and/or will be become certified to teach ServSafe
- Applicant with teaching experience must have acceptable rating from such teaching
- Possess or be eligible to acquire appropriate license(s) and/or endorsement for position as required by the Commonwealth of Virginia and School Board
Salary: This is a 11 month position; Salary TBD. Additional compensation awarded for credits earned toward advanced degrees. New employees to Spotsylvania County will be compensated for up to 20 years of experience.
How to Apply: Follow all instructions to complete a Licensed application